DIY Front Door Christmas Planter

by - 14:05:00

I wanted to decorate our front porch with two Christmas planters but the ones I liked were too expensive and the ones I could afford I didn't like - the typical DIY'ers catch 22 - or as I like to call it, my motivation.
A few tips: First, as always, use what you have (ie old christmas ornaments, twigs, etc). Second, don't worry about making it perfect, let the branches fall where they will. The more rustic the better. Third, when you think you're finished cross the street and look at your pots from afar (adjust them accordingly).

Here are the things you'll need (roughly). As you can see, the ribbon is reused from a previous DIY project. I purchased some greenery because I didn't have enough in my yard. I recommend silver fir (a little more expensive but looks really good).


First spray paint your twigs white. Note, you could also spray paint some logs white to create a birch-like look (be sure to remove the bark first as it will soak up the paint).

 Put dirt in your planter (if it doesn't already have it) and place your birch logs in the center.


Next stick your greenery around the base. I started with the silver fir around the bottom - be sure to plant it upside down to show off that great silvery-blue color.


Now, for the next step I highly recommend using gloves - I learned this the hard way. Use the twist tie to group three pinecones together, adhere them to a twig and plant.

 
Finally, create a small bow (follow instructions found here: http://harlowandthistle.blogspot.ca/2013/11/diy-holiday-centerpiece.html). 

Group the bow and Christmas balls together with a twist tie, tie it to a twig and stick it into the front of the planter - and voila!


You May Also Like

0 comments